The Bridge's Potential
Located a few metres north of Anzac Bridge, a re-opened Glebe Island Bridge could provide a safe, broad, level link for pedestrians and cyclists between Rozelle and the city.
Pedestrians and cyclists from the west via the Bridge would have access to:
- Pyrmont and Ultimo businesses, workplaces and parks
- The CBD and Darling Harbour, via Pyrmont Bridge
- The Fishmarket and its light rail station
- The University of Technology
- Central Railway station
- The planned George Street light rail
- North Sydney, via the Bridge Route
- A potential waterside walk from Rozelle to Rushcutters Bay
Pedestrians and cyclists from the east would have access to:
- The proposed Bays Precinct residential, commercial and leisure facilities, including the refurbished White Bay Power Station,
- The White Bay Cruise terminal,
- The temporary Sydney Exhibition Centre
- The attractions of Rozelle and Balmain.
"The City sees Glebe Island Bridge as a highly significant structure and strongly supports its retention and reuse."
CEO, City of Sydney, 2 July 2012
The importance of boat access to Blackwattle and Rozelle Bays
To enable large boats to enter and leave the bays, Glebe Island Bridge can swing open as needed, as it was designed to do. The Spit Bridge, Mosman, operates in this way - used by 70,000 motorists a day, the Spit bridge opens for large boats 6 times per weekday, and 8 times each weekend day. Pyrmont Bridge also opens when necessary for vessels to move in and out of Darling Harbour.